The world’s best selling organic paints

Once in a while I come across a product that really impresses me, and Ecos Paints have done just that.

They claim their paints are 7,000 times purer than their nearest competitor, and after using them extensively in our new house, I believe them. The paints are virtually odourless and completely solvent-free. They do not contain formaldehyde, phthalates, heavy metals such as lead, cadmium or mercury, white spirit, turpentine, terpenes, ethereal oils, VOC’s glycols, coalescents, animal products, vinyl chloride, APEO, or acrylic softeners. They are very fast drying, and we found we really could paint a room and sleep in it the same night without any side-effects at all.

Actually I discovered Ecos Paints many years ago, when they were just starting out, long before most people were aware there were any healthy alternatives to regular paints. They were very expensive then, but are much more affordable now. Their range extends to over 400 shades, and they have wall paints, wood paints, floor paints, masonry paints, woodwashes, algicides, plaster sealers, and more. They even have anti-formeldehyde radiator paint and a primer you can use on MDF that absorbs and permanently neutralizes approximately 99% of the formaldehyde and other volatile organic compounds.

Ecos Paints are based in the UK and are also sold in the US. They ship worldwide.

UK – www.ecospaints.com
US – www.ecospaints.net

If you are chemically sensitive or really value your health, it’s certainly worth paying one of their websites a visit before you next do any decorating. I wouldn’t use anything else. (And just to keep the record straight, I don’t receive any commission from this company – I haven’t even told them I’ve written this article.)

Copyright © Karen Kingston, 2013

This entry was posted in Healthy home. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to The world’s best selling organic paints

1. D IKEDA says:

Great to hear! I have been looking at milk based paints and also clay based paints. At some point I figured okay how did people paint their houses say 200 years ago (!) and discovered milk based paints from the east coast of the US – undoubtedly used elsewhere too but definitely used there – however I live in a very humid climate so mold might be a problem with milk based paints. So I moved on to looking at clay based paints. Eco Paints sounds interesting! Not in my neighborhood but interesting nonetheless !

2. D IKEDA says:

Doesn’t seem to be too much other interest in paint here :) But here is a link to the Milk Paint I found online in the U.S. – http://www.milkpaint.com/ and the clay paint – http://www.unearthedpaints.com/products/clay-paint

Apparently both are shipped as powders and you mix them up yourself with water.

EcoPaints look like they have much more variety! But just thought I would put this out there.

3. Jill Bull says:

I, too, discovered Ecos paints many years ago, something like 12 years ago. As you say, they were very expensive, but I used a lot of them in my previous house, particularly on outdoor “gloss” areas, they were excellent for this, and, at the time, the only “healthy” water-based paints I could find that were suitable for such a purpose. Nowadays there are other alternatives, but you have inspired me to have another look at their website for future use.

4. Caroline Dearden says:

Thanks for talking about these wonderful paints, Karen. I’ve just used a tin of ECOS paint to decorate my father’s bedroom before he is discharged from hospital. Sadly, he’s been diagnosed with lung cancer so it was absolutely vital for us to use paint that contained no potentially harmful chemicals for him. I was amazed by how pleasant the paint was to use and will definitely use it the next time I decorate a bedroom in our home (I may even use it on all of our rooms). Yes, it’s more expensive (mainly due to paying for postage) but very easy to use and gave an excellent coverage (I suspect it contains a high level of pigment). And no, I DON’T work for the company !

5. Teresa O'Dea says:

Very interesting. Thank you for that information. I knew such paints existed but didnjt know where. I have ordered their brochure but I guess shipment to Ireland is prohibitive. Thank you very much anyway. Teresa

6. elaine says:

Thanks for the link to the paints, we have just had a catalogue through and ordered a free sample. They sell them here too http://www.healthy-house.co.uk/category/organic-paints-and-varnishes, so it’s not just you who recommends them! We’re about to have our kitchen done, so this was good timing!